Crowns & Bridges
We provide NHS crowns and also high end porcelain work including Lava and Emax crowns which are extremely natural in appearance.
What is a crown?
Crowns are an ideal way to rebuild teeth which have been broken, or have been weakened by decay or a very large filling. The crown fits right over the remaining part of the tooth, making it strong and giving it the shape and contour of a natural tooth. Crowns are sometimes also known as ‘caps’. An ‘Anterior Crown’ is a crown fitted to the front eight teeth.
Why would I need a crown?
There are a number of reasons. For instance:
- the tooth may have been weakened by having a very large filling
- you may have discoloured fillings and would like to improve the appearance of the tooth
- you may have had a root filling which will need a crown to protect it
- you may have had an accident and damaged the tooth
- it may help hold a bridge or denture firmly in place.
What is a bridge
A bridge is a fixed (permanent) unit to replace a missing tooth or teeth.
There are many options on how to replace missing teeth and a bridge is one of those options.Your dentist will go over all suitable options at your appointment with you.
Why should I replace missing teeth?
Your appearance is one reason. Another is that the gap left by a missing tooth can mean greater strain on the teeth at either side. A gap can also mean your ‘bite’ is affected, because the teeth next to the space can lean into the gap and alter the way the upper and lower teeth bite together. This can then lead to food getting packed into the gap, which causes both decay and gum disease.